header
header
> >
#1 Posted by pipi 4 years 5 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
Hi there, I just stumbled on the games on Steam Greenlight and I really like it.

This game makes me think of both Elastomania and Super Meat Boy combined.

I'm a hardcore gamer but I thought of a few small things that could help make the game better.
It's up to you to judge my suggestions. ;)

So, with the keyboard controls, I found that turning was pretty radical. It would probably help if turning was handled by the mouse.. Or make the turning speed related to the velocity of the vessel (if you are moving slowly, you turn slightly slower than normal) That would help in various situations.

Also, the landing gear (or whatever you call it) of the vessel is a bit too restricted. I mean, I will crash sometimes if I try to slide on a wall but I land on it just 5 degree offset. I will also crash occasionnaly when hitting the lower sides of the vessel. There should be a small "safe buffer" at the lowest part of the vessel, if you know what I mean.

A small funky idea I had while playing. By pressing a button, the vessel could grip or magnetically attach temporarily to the walls while sliding. This could also help in the random crashes, and also give interesting player control without being too complex of a game mechanic.

Anyways, there just some ideas. Really looking forward to this game.

Cheers :)
#2 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Hey pipi, thanks for the feedback!

Mouse turning is something other players have requested as well , so that's coming in the future! It has a few issues though, especially when playing for the Fuel timer icon timer, where you need to be able to quickly fling yourself off edges and jump.

The turning is currently boolean. You either turn at max speed, or you don't turn. We could implement an optional ramp, so that the ship's rotation accelerates a bit instead of instantaneously turning at the max speed, so it's easier to make slight adjustments. We're also thinking about allowing slow rotation when using a joystick.

The landing gear is a bit picky, but what's more sensitive is turning while landing, which seems to be the most common issue. The most important part is to never, ever turn your ship as you land, going into a slide.

We're most likely not implementing magnet sliding in the current rocket, but we'll have multiple rockets, so it might be a feature in one of those.
It could also be a feature in the level editor, to place parts of the track that are magnetised.
#3 Posted by pipi 4 years 5 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
Yeah I played a little more now. I know what you mean with the environmentalist timer. (By the way I still wonder how you guys go without using any fuel on the first 2 levels. I know you can thrust backward with the missiles but man... lol)

I thought of it afterward but yeah, I guess playing with a joystick is ideal for this game.. just like Super Meat Boy, which is unplayable (or at least I don't think I could of finished it) with the keyboard.

About landing and sliding. Well, I thought of a few things. First, maybe I'm not good enough yet but, take for example the second level (First Steps). I'd imagine that by the way it is made, I would be able to start with a small thrust in the air, take full speed downward, land and slide on the first curve, and when I lift off the first curve, I would turn around and land on the ceiling curve, and smoothly slide there as well, then in the same fashion, turn over to slide in the third and last curve until I reach the finish line.

Think about it. The way I see it, this game screams for this kind of gameplay mechanic. The sliding is pretty cool. I think that if you can land perfectly your rocket, you should gain a slight boost in velocity (Mario Kart style) and also have a decrease in bouncing effect. So when you hit the ceiling at good velocity, if you land really well, you cancel most of the bouncing effect (or all of it if you land perfectly) and slide your way on the track.

It could be calculated incrementally, meaning that you get a var from the difference of angle between the rocket and the surface when you land, and you would use it to cancel the boucing and affect the speed depending on how well you land. It wouldn't be like a magnet effect but instead, just something that occurs (is calculated) on impact. It should probably less effective if you are traveling at lower velocity, so that it doesn't mess with careful and slow movement while doing the Environmentalist timer.

I think it would also be interesting because the Racer timer would benefit more from the whole track (how the level is built) from the Accelerator timer. Because right now, they're close to each other, in the way that, you are going to speed up as much as you can to finish faster, right? But if sliding is more involed in the gameplay, that would make a difference (because you can't slide while always accelerating anyways)

I don't know if you get my idea, or if I've explained it right... or maybe it's just me and I had too much coffee haha, but anyways..

Btw, I just became a backer at 25$ I will download the level editor a try, I use to make pretty cool levels at games like Elastomania.
I also posted this on my facebook artist fanpage, and personal page. Hope that gets a few people interested.
:)

(Sorry for super long post hehe)
#4 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Long posts are nice, don't be sorry!

Using First Steps as an example isn't very representative, because it's, in my opinion, quite a terrible level.

I think, currently, it works well. It depends quite a lot on how the level is shaped. Going into slides is much easier if it eases in more smoothly from the angle you're approaching it in, rather than being a small, near-circular 90 degree turn, like in First Steps.
However, a very slight helping force might be a good thing. We'll have to think about it!

Also, you can slide quite a lot while running for the Acceleration timer icon timer, it's central for levels like Frictionaut, yet it's quite different from how you play when going for the Race timer.
It is important that the timers play differently, but currently it's a property up to the level designer :)

Massive thanks for the backing pipi, and even more thanks for sharing it!
#5 Posted by pipi 4 years 5 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
You're welcome!

I really like the game so far. Yet I should really try it with a joystick because I feel the keyboard doesn't render justice to the gameplay, so I might be having difficulties because of it, and probably also alters my opinion of how the game plays.

Maybe I just tried to complicate things about small control issues. I just know there's something about the overall control of the vessel that should be smoother and better. I know you're going for a high skill-based game but you have to think about gameplay controls that allow as much enjoyable experiences for the casual gamers, and still be really competitive on a higher skill level when mastered... if you want to kickstart this, you gotta appeal a bit to the mass ;)

Just giving my inputs anyhow !

EDIT: I guess what I really mean is that the standard rocket (from what I read there will be many more with different features) should probably be more beginner friendly, with features like I mentionned, somewhat stickier to the tracks/walls, maybe slower acceleration to get a better time reaction ratio, a bit larger and safe bottom protection so you don't always crash just by hitting the very side of it, things like that.
#6 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Last night I streamed while starting work on the Rooket, which is a more newbie friendly rocket :)
It's slower, has aerial drag and wider landing gear, which should help new players get accustomed to the controls before going to the default rocket.
#7 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 5 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
Missed the stream unfortunately but I can't wait to see it!
#8 Posted by pipi 4 years 5 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
ya I tuned in for a few minutes, what softare you use for 3d btw?

Cool to know that, I think it should help the learning curve, also give a better and more enjoyable impression for people trying the game on the website. :)
#9 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
I'm using Maya for 3D