header
header
> >
#1 Posted by dubradditz 4 years 7 months ago
dubradditz
44% complete
2 Forum posts
Hey all,

First of all, have really been enjoying the game since that nice exposure you got on Rock Paper Shotgun. I had some thoughts.

*This game seems to have a great strength, as others have pointed, in its similarities to Trials. One simple mechanic that can instantly be learned, and then slowly mastered in harder situations.

*I think moving forward you should really keep this comparison to Trials in mind and emulate their model a little more. Keep this one simple mechanic, and just give the community the tools to do their own thing, that should be the focus. Whatever "campaign" you do should just be some well designed levels that with a nice progression difficulty. However, the game will live or die on if it can get that community around it large enough to stay around for a while.

*I hate the shooting and have no desire to play any levels with it. Like others said, for time attack sort of a thing its just not a tight enough mechanic. Focus on the core mechanic.

*The one thing I really love is the multiple styles thing you have going for each stage. This makes each level play differently, and makes it kind of interesting. If the game ever takes off and gets a decent community, I could very much different groups and levels popping up with these modes in mind. Like a level built for the fuel or acceleration challenge, and I think that will be really cool.

Those are my very biased opinions. I look forward to this game coming out for real!
#2 Posted by pipi 4 years 7 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
I go with you about shooting, it gets you out of the "racing" game, and could just possibly make up for badly designed levels. If the levels are going to be really well crafted, you won't need that extra objective. My opinion is that it should be only a multiplayer deathmatch feature.
#3 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 7 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
I must admit that I don't particularly like the shooting either.

It might become a different thing with mouse steering and a crosshair though. Have you ever played Altitude?
#4 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 7 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Thanks for your feedback!

As you've probably seen in the previous threads - It seems like most players don't really like the shooting levels, in the sense that they would be more fun to play simply if they didn't have targets in them. They feel as if they're in the way or an additional, unnecessary objective, rather than being the main objective.

That said, I think shooting works much better in non-linear levels like Shooting Range, rather than linear levels like Learning Curves and Escapade. But even in non-linear levels, there will be a quickest path, essentially making it linear after you've figured it out.

What I do like about it though, is the ability to do target practise singleplayer, but then again, that can simply be in the form of a training level with infinitely respawning targets in random locations instead.

I haven't played altitude! And I'm not sure if mouse aim would make things easier, unless the grenade is directed towards your crosshair :)

It's a big question, but I think we might have to remove the shooting race mode in the end.
#5 Posted by kamyl 4 years 7 months ago
kamyl
100% complete
23 Forum posts
4 Levels
7 Levels awarded
Don't remove shooting race mode. You don't like it you don't play it. Let people that enjoy shooting create and play maps with shooting.
That's the beauty - you do (play, create, wait for others to create) whatever you want.
#6 Posted by Sranine 4 years 7 months ago
Sranine
Flowstorm Developer
42% complete
17 Forum posts
1 Level
What kamyl said! I second that. :)
#7 Posted by AzureFlash 4 years 7 months ago
AzureFlash
94% complete
6 Forum posts
How about stages where shooting is optional? Like for example, it gives you a time bonus but you can skip some that you have trouble aiming at. Another way to do it would be that stages which have both shooting and checkpoint objectives could be played shooting only, checkpoint only, or all objectives.

I could see how this could create scoreboard hell, though, but if it's feasible database-wise and the filtering UI is well made, it might be manageable.
#8 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 7 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Remember that there are multiple rockets. Perhaps the Rooket has homing grenades
#9 Posted by kamyl 4 years 7 months ago
kamyl
100% complete
23 Forum posts
4 Levels
7 Levels awarded

I like that. Like a prop, for instance green ship/rocket instead of red one. Shooting it gives you -5 sec (or better, if set by map author) and is not one of the objectives, so you don't have to shoot it to finish map. That way, you can make maps with checkpoints, targets, and "green rockets". The thing is, you don't need to use all these things in 1 map. But you have the ability to do so. You have more possibilities. You could do more puzzle maps.
#10 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 7 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded

Don't take it out - I'm with Kamyl there, it's a matter of taste. That I had trouble getting used to it doesn't mean I think that the shooting race mode doesn't deserve to be in the game.

Also, about the crosshair:
What I had in mind was a crosshair floating some 150 pixels in front of your rocket - not as an actual cross hair, but more as an aiming help that makes it easier to see in which direction you're shooting. Yes, you can already see that now because the rocket is triangular, but it's also rather short, and I THINK it would help me.

(As far as I remember, in Altitude, the crosshair works not only for steering but also handles throttle - the further away you point the crosshair, the faster your plane will go. I was thinking about using the same principle not for thrust, but for the power of your shots..but then again that would go against the idea of having to charge your shots before you can fire them.)
#11 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 7 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
A linear crosshair to aid in orientation sounds like a pretty good idea, could be an optional setting to enable/disable
#12 Posted by kamyl 4 years 7 months ago
kamyl
100% complete
23 Forum posts
4 Levels
7 Levels awarded
That "forced" crosshair could be optional, like soft aim. It could help you with quick shooting, as you might know better where you aim (you don't need to wait will you see "crosshair" while shooting). But do you really use crosshair for short charges/distances? I, for instance, rather not.

Such forced and floating around my ship/rocket crosshair would bother me I guess. That's why it should be optional (if made at all).

But what if it really would help? Then I would have to choose between: stupidly floating crosshair or slower/worse knowledge where my ship would shoot. I would probably turn it off as you can learn how to predict bullets.

And now, I think it would be useless, unless you shoot bullets that aren't affected by gravity. OR LASER. DO WANT.
#13 Posted by pipi 4 years 7 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
I still think that shooting should be completly removed from the race mode and be only in the deathmatch mode, for better centered and focus gameplay and consistency.

Also, I think the crosshair is a bad idea. I think it's part of the game the way it is now to get good with it, and I assume that every rockets will have different weapons like lasers, bombs, homing missles or missles maybe, etc.

IMO :)
#14 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 7 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
I also just realized that there's a pretty nifty aiming system in place already that shows you the predicted trajectory of your grenade. Never really noticed it..duh :D