header
header
header
> >
#1 Posted by lw789 1 year 1 month ago
lw789
630 Forum posts
SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Two substitutes, two goals. Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal can, it seems, do no wrong at this World Cup. He sent on replacements Leroy Fer and Memphis Depay in the second half of the match against Chile on Monday and they scored both goals in a 2-0 win that confirmed the Dutch as Group B winners with a maximum nine points. "It is luck," Van Gaal himself said about his super substitutions. "Just luck." But it was more than that. Fer, listed by FIFA as 6 feet 2 inches (188 cm) tall, scored with a header a minute after coming on as a substitute for the 5-foot-6-inch (171 cm) Wesley Sneijder. "I know Leroy Fer is tall compared with our opponents. I know he can head the ball well," Van Gaal said. Then there was Depay. "We analyzed that Chile in the last 15 minutes gives away more room," Van Gaal said. "If you have a creative player in at that moment, you have the chance to use that space." Manchester United, which hired Van Gaal to restore its fortunes after a disastrous season by the clubs lofty standards, must be delighted even if it has to wait a bit longer for him to join them after the World Cup. Chile, one of the most attacking and attractive teams at the World Cup, had no answer at the Itaquerao Stadium, especially not without midfielder Arturo Vidal who watched from the bench. "I played the best team I had," said Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli. Juventus star Vidal had knee surgery before the tournament and had a sore Achilles tendon but said a day before the match he felt fit and ready to play. Both teams had already advanced to the second round, but Chiles first loss of the tournament consigned it to second place in Group B and a meeting with host Brazil in Belo Horizonte. The Dutch next travel to Fortaleza to play Group A runner-up Mexico in the round of 16 on June 29. Chile began with its trademark fast, attacking style while the Dutch, with a five-man defence, looked content to sit back, absorb the pressure and break out with swift counterattacks. "We gave nothing away and fought like lions," stand-in captain Robben said. "Orange lions." The match marked the first time at this World Cup the Netherlands had played in its national colour, but the change of jerseys didnt change its fortunes. Vidals absence deprived Chile of midfield creativity and it struggled to break down the well-drilled Dutch defence. Barcelona forward Alexis Sanchez tried to fill the gap left by Vidal, but couldnt find a way through. He came closest to scoring in the second half with a powerful shot that Jasper Cillessen easily blocked at his near post. "Im very proud of this team," Robben said. "If you see how we fought here today. We were right on top of them and gave them no chances." The Netherlands was playing without suspended captain and striker Robin van Persie and was also missing defender Bruno Martins Indi, who suffered a concussion in the teams last match, a tough 3-2 victory over Australia in Porto Alegre. No problem for inspirational coach Van Gaal, who pulled a tactical surprise with his starting lineup -- reverting to the 5-3-2 formation he began with against Spain and posting veteran forward Dirk Kuyt, in his 99th international, at left back. "I enjoyed it," Kuyt said. "I never played in this position but the coach told me a couple of weeks ago that it could be a possibility during the tournament and I told him that I would be ready for it and I was very happy I get the chance. I think it went very well and hopefully I will get another chance." Then came Van Gaals substitutions. Fer headed in powerfully and Depay doubled his World Cup tally in stoppage time. Robben delayed his cross from the left cleverly until the PSV Eindhoven striker arrived at the far post -- also delaying his run by a split second to shrug off his marker -- to tap in an inch-perfect pass. "He is a huge talent and great for the future of Dutch football," Fer said of Depay. Robben said that after three wins out of three, the Dutch squad is hungry for more. "We can enjoy this fantastic performance, but it must not stop here," he said. Jon Bostic Jersey . -- Martin Kaymer never lost sight of opportunity even amid so much evidence of trouble in the closing stretch Sunday at The Players Championship. John Stallworth Jersey . New York City FC introduced Frank Lampard in Brooklyn on Thursday after signing the 36-year-old former Chelsea midfielder to a two-year contract. http://www.officialpittsburghsteelersfootball.com/authentic-kevin-greene-jersey-womens. MLB.com reported that the Dodgers locked the left-hander in for one year at $10 million with up to $4 million in incentives. Ryan Switzer Jersey . With the Pirates in the thick of the race in the NL Central, the timing couldnt be better. Liriano struck out a season-high 11 in seven innings to win consecutive starts for the first time this season and Pittsburgh beat the San Francisco Giants 3-1 on Tuesday night. Heath Miller Jersey . According to a report from ESPN, the veteran safety has signed another one-year deal with the team Raiders, the team that drafted him, and who he returned to last year after a long stint with the Green Bay Packers.SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Argentinas theme at this World Cup seems to be scrappy wins with Lionel Messi pulling through at the last minute to save the day. This time he didnt score on his own, but set the stage for Angel Di Maria to score an extra-time winner against Switzerland. "It doesnt matter if its beautiful or ugly," Di Maria said. "Only that Argentina won and will play another game in the tournament." Argentina will play Belgium in the quarterfinals. Except for its final group-stage win over Nigeria, Argentina has won its matches in Brazil in the same manner -- grinding down its opponents rather than dazzling them with brilliant football. In the first half Tuesday, Argentina struggled to find paths through Switzerlands five-man midfield, and it was the Swiss that produced the best chances. Granit Xhaka pushed Sergio Romero to a great save and Josip Drmic spoiled a great opportunity when he tried to chip the ball over the Argentina goalkeeper. When cracks started opening in the defence in the second half, goalkeeper Diego Benaglio kept Switzerland in the game, stopping Gonzalo Higuains header and Messis low shot in the 78th minute. Benaglio also saved a powerful attempt by Di Maria in extra time, and it looked like the Swiss would be able to push the game into a penalty shootout. Then, in the 118th, Rodrigo Palacio won the ball in midfield and fed Messi, who dribbled down the middle in trademark fashion, escaping a challenge from Swiss defender Fabian Schaer before poking the ball to Di Maria. Unmarked, the Real Madrid player beat Benaglio with his 10th goal in Argentinas colours. "Whats important is that we moved on to the next stage," said Messi, who has scored four oof Argentinas seven goals, including an injury-time winner against Iran.dddddddddddd "It was difficult. We knew it was going to be a hard match." Swiss substitute Blerim Dzemaili nearly equalized right before the end but his header hit the post, and the rebound bounced off his knee and wide of the goal. Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld, whose brother died at age 81 one the eve of the match, said his team leaves the tournament with "our heads high." "We made life very tough for them," he said. "They managed to keep their cool. It shows Argentina has a good team." Hitzfeld said it was his last match as a football coach. He had earlier said he would quit after the tournament. His Argentine counterpart, Alejandro Sabella, said he thought his team played a "wonderful match," though he conceded theres room for improvement. "It was a match that we deserved to win," said Sabella. "The first half was very even. They had two clear chances and after that the match was ours." Argentina will play its next match without left back Marcos Rojo, who is suspended after receiving his second yellow card on Tuesday. ------ Lineups: Argentina: Sergio Romero; Pablo Zabaleta, Federico Fernandez, Ezequiel Garay, Marcos Rojo (Jose Maria Basanta, 105); Fernando Gago (Lucas Biglia, 106), Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria; Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Ezequiel Lavezzi (Rodrigo Palacio, 74). Switzerland: Diego Benaglio; Stephan Lichtsteiner, Johan Djourou, Fabian Schaer, Ricardo Rodriquez; Xherdan Shaqiri, Gokhan Inler, Granit Xhaka (Gelson Fernandes, 66), Valon Behrami, Admir Mehmedi (Blerim Dzemaili, 113); Josip Drmic (Haris Seferovic, 82). China NFL Jerseys Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Online Stitched Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys Football Jerseys Outlet College Jerseys For Sale Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys For Sale Wholesale NFL Jerseys ' ' '