> >
#1 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 3 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
We'll be posting devlogs more frequently, starting now! This is the place to discuss and/or watch us both be uncomfortable in front of cameras.

We're not going to spend too much time making these videos, as we need to get used to making them frequently. Because of this, they will be rather rough and awkward at first, before we get used to doing these :)

Sranine covers a few of the things that went wrong with the Kickstarter, and what we're doing better next time!
#2 Posted by Ravidge 4 years 3 months ago
Ravidge
100% complete
14 Forum posts
14 Levels
3 Levels awarded
Good job! I already feel more connected to the project as a whole so nicely done.

Presentation is a little stiff, but I'll put it down to just not being used to recording yourself. The more often you do it, the easier it will become to be more relaxed and comfortable with the whole situation :)
Depending on how professional you want to make it look, you can try to set up better lighting and audio recording environments. But what you got now is honestly good enough.

What is your plan/goal for update rate on these devlogs?
#3 Posted by Sranine 4 years 3 months ago
Sranine
Flowstorm Developer
42% complete
17 Forum posts
1 Level
2-3 per week is the goal, so we'll basically try to make one every other day. So we'll have perhaps 10-15 devlogs before we re-kickstart the Kickstarter! :D
And yeah, the sound is horrible : < We'll have to sort it out for next time! Which should be...tomorrow or the day after!
#4 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 3 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
What Ravidge said. You already seemed a bit more relaxed towards the end of the video. Keep up the good work, I like it a lot!
#5 Posted by pipi 4 years 3 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
just wanted to add my opinion to this - 2 or 3 per week seems a lot, unless you have a whole lot of stuff to log and reveal, I'd go for once a week and always on the same day, like friday. See, many developers, businesses or even youtube channels use that basis of delivering once a week, you get enough stuff to show/reveal or talk about and keep the people interested and eager to hear the next devlog/podcast

I used to follow closely the development of natural selection 2, and during alpha phase, they would put out an update on every friday, even if it was only a few bug fixes, sometimes new material for the map editor, etc. and I was glued to the computer to get the latest update on every friday afternoon.. just an example anyways :)

Also, it'd be cool for you to have some kind of short intro with the game logo, stating devlog number and like 5 secs of music. (by the way, some people suggested this game needs some background music, im one of those hehe)

And to say like the others, Sranine looked more confident already at the end of the first devlog ;)
#6 Posted by Sranine 4 years 3 months ago
Sranine
Flowstorm Developer
42% complete
17 Forum posts
1 Level
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think we'll stick 2-3 per week, but every update won't be super long. Perhaps a few will be bigger than others, and if we do a big or extra important update, we'll post about it everywhere. I think it'd be good if we do it regularly... for us, personally, to just get used to it and making it a natural part of our day-to-day work. Perhaps film stuff that we're working on, just because that's what we do. We'll see how it works out. :)

Some kind of intro would be great, yeah! We'll have to think of something. Something really short and neat! :D

And yes - music will be in the next alpha!
#7 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 3 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Devlog #2 is now up!
#8 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 3 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
Great work, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

And I can imagine how hard it is to overcome your camera-shyness to do all this, so you deserve all the more praise for it :).

If you listen to your intonation towards the end of the video, you will hear that you did a good job at raising your voice on all the important words. The English language likes that a lot, so don't be afraid of overdoing it. For example, listen to Scott Manley playing KSP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHmfmFsbd0 (He IS on the verge of comical at times, but only at times).

So don't be afraid to really leeaan onto those words. You basically did it right..just not intensely enough. For example in the part where you talk about the KS video, you could go: "We DID have action footage about 10 seconds into the video, but THAT was really ten, seconds, too late." You really explicitly jump from word to word in that last bit - "ten, seconds, too LATE."
#9 Posted by Motorsheep 4 years 3 months ago
Motorsheep
63% complete
27 Forum posts
3 Levels awarded
In order to expand on the intonation thing, I suggest to listen to this devlog by the devs of "The Last of Us":

http://youtu.be/TbO7D9YkP-c

Especially the bald guy with the vest and the white shirt.
#10 Posted by DamienC 1 day 16 hours ago
DamienC
1 Forum post

Good video, would be great to get an update on how things are going with the devs.