header
> >
#1 Posted by Ravidge 4 years 5 months ago
Ravidge
100% complete
14 Forum posts
14 Levels
3 Levels awarded
Something I notice when playing the Clockwise timer icon and Counterclockwise timer icon timers is that you have to be extremely precise with your rotation when going into curves. Depending on both the angle at which you enter the curve itself, and the angle of your rocket. But this applies to all modes really, getting your rocket knocked into a weird (often lethal) rotation is not fun.

If you come in at a steep angle you're almost guaranteed to just bounce off. Which is how it's supposed to work without any sort of shock-absorbers in the rocket. But in Clockwise timer icon and Counterclockwise timer icon timers you can't always choose your angle, you have to go with what you can get.

But if each of the spikes could absorb and soften the collision, a lot of deaths could be prevented. Here's a image to illustrate what I mean:

in case A) this is how it is currently. The angle the rocket approaches the curve is too steep and hitting the wall will result in a sudden twist of the rocket and you're basically catapulted into the wall.
in case B) when the spike hits the wall, it sinks into the ship and absorbs part of the shock, the rocket still gets twisted but not nearly as much as before. But most importantly you don't get shot off the wall immediately and have a chance to actually enter the slide thanks to the suspension keeping you in contact with the wall.

Well, I don't know if it's better or worse in the long run to have this in the game. I just feel I'm dying an awful lot to weird mini-bounces when I touch any surfaces.
Basically what this does is make the entry-angle into a successful landing of any kind a lot wider.
#2 Posted by Ravidge 4 years 5 months ago
Ravidge
100% complete
14 Forum posts
14 Levels
3 Levels awarded
Made a video. It's almost 6 minutes long, but you only need to watch between the 10-20 second mark to get my point illustrated in glorious motion pictures.
Not sure why I didn't just stop the recording there... Either way it's 6 minutes of me attempting to hit slides while on-purpose over-rotating the rocket (so it's not aligned to the surface it's going to hit).

#3 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Thanks for the super clear image+video combo!
Bouncing is still the trickiest design issue in the game, because it's a bit too unreliable. I think adding suspension will cause more issues that it will solve though, simply because the physics is already on the edge as it is.

I think the real issue lies in the torque applied to the rocket when it bounces. Perhaps it's possible to limit that somehow. I'll experiment a bit with this soon :)
#4 Posted by pipi 4 years 5 months ago
pipi
56% complete
42 Forum posts
1 Level
what type of colliders do you use for the rockets' feet?
#5 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
The feet are a part of the compound collider that makes up the whole rocket, which is just a single rigidbody. I experimented a bit with this, and it seems like simply removing bouncing is the most viable option. It also makes landing easier, which is crucial for new players to learn. It's now also a lot more predictable, which makes the top runs less random and more about skill, which is of course one of the core aspects of this game :)
#6 Posted by lokatt 4 years 5 months ago
lokatt
100% complete
10 Forum posts
3 Levels
Did/will limiting the the ship rotation when bouncing (as you said), make the game too bouncy and landing harder?
How about only make a bounce once both landing spikes have touched the track? (I'm guessing you've already considered that :)
#7 Posted by Acegikmo 4 years 5 months ago
Acegikmo
Flowstorm Developer
100% complete
100 Forum posts
8 Levels
12 Levels awarded
Bouncing is built-in in the physics engine, any modifications beyond tweaking its magnitude will be a hack, most likely leading to more issues that it solves. It's hard to detect when two spikes land "at the same time", because it rarely happens, as just a slight angle will make them touch at different moments in time. Simply reducing bouncing to 0 made it much more predictable, for both new and experienced players!
#8 Posted by lokatt 4 years 5 months ago
lokatt
100% complete
10 Forum posts
3 Levels
Ok :) it removes some interesting strategies though (but maybe for the better).