header
header
header
> >
#1 Posted by liny195 11 months 4 weeks ago
liny195
537 Forum posts
I have belabored in my short tenure here at BTSC the point that there's something special about the relationship between the Steelers' players David DeCastro Jersey , and the fans. There's a feeling that goes well beyond enjoying successful seasons, an unity of identity. I have also conceded that football is a business -- on both sides of the negotiating table. I don’t blame management when they had to let Troy go. I don’t blame Joey Porter for taking his talents to South Beach when James Harrison was in his rearview mirror.The trick is to try to keep the business side in the shadows, and the winning, of both the games and the hearts of fans, in the limelight. And that too needs to be recognized by both labor and management.Enter Le'Veon Bell. Or not. Here is a player that for many of us was a stretch, a reach. I mean, who picks a running back in the second round when running backs depreciate faster than the shiny new Cadillac you just drove off the lot? Turned out we were wrong, and that he's a prodigious talent. That and his youth helped us look past his folly in getting baked with LaGarrette Blount. We were ready, even eager, to welcome him into the family. When he waited to sign his franchise tag offer last pre-season we grumbled a bit about his slow start and drop in YPC, but we went 13-3. And surely Marcus Gilbert Jersey , we reasoned, he would learn his lesson.It seems he hasn’t. Don’t misunderstand. I don’t begrudge these men the money they make. I agree with Bell that he needs to maximize his earning potential while he can. But there is more to doing that than strictly playing hardball, like, you know, playing football. Earning potential can and does last beyond a player’s on-field career. Goodwill, when the game passes you by, you can also take to the bank.Bell, however, isn't only squandering future earnings but he's losing money right now. First, with each passing day it looks more and more like he may be willing to pass up game checks. Second, the more petulant and me-first he shows himself to be Cheap Terrell Edmunds Jersey , the less he will command in the open market in 2019. Bidders will bow out, wanting team players and wanting to avoid distractions. Sure, some team desperate enough probably will give him the keys to the vault. But there will be fewer of them laboring to do so. (And whoever does so will likely not be a competitive team.)I’m afraid Bell is creating a legacy he may regret. He will likely end up remembered more as a cautionary tale than as a legendary player when he could be the next Jerome Bettis, the next Franco Harris. But the path he seems to be on will make him the next Ricky Williams.It’s not what I want. It’s not what anybody wants, except perhaps Bell and his agent. I want him on the team, in the game, in the end zone, part of the family. But money does strange things.How Randy Fichtner is re-building the play action pass into the Steelers playbook If there is one aspect of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense which constantly befuddles me, it is how since Bruce Arians retired/was fired the team has not run as much play action as they once did.A large reason for the team bringing in Todd Haley after Arians’ departure was to help keep Ben Roethlisberger healthy. Shortly upon his arrival, the 8-step drop backs for Roethlisberger started to diminish, and the quick-hitting timing routes became more of an onus within the offense. While Arians Cheap Antonio Brown Jersey , and other coordinators like Ken Whisenhunt, loved to run play action and chuck it deep, it wasn’t the forte of Haley. But what about new offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner? It is a small sample size, but early indications are Fichtner wants to run more play action than his predecessor, but the plays themselves might look different.Take a look at what play action passing might resemble in the new-style offense Fichtner has been running off of Haley’s offensive skeleton.Again, with only two weeks under the team’s belt, it is too early to tell if the play action passing game will become a staple, or just a weekly feature depending on matchups. However, when comparing this season to 2017, there is already an uptick in play-action passing.If you are like me, you are hoping for even more play action passing in the future Cheap Le'Veon Bell Jersey , and it is worth noting the team would have to establish a running game for the play action to be truly effective. Sure, you can always freeze the linebackers with a play action play, but to get the secondary to bite on the fake as well, that is where you make your real money. As the Steelers now prepare for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 3, establishing the run, and utilizing play action might just be the trick against a very aggressive defense who will want to fly to the ball and make plays. Do you wish the Steelers used more play action, or is this something which is a dated style of offense which should be phased out of the playbook? Let us know in the comment section below! Custom Los Angeles Chargers Jerseys